I observed a 1/2nd grade class at Discovery Community School. When I arrived to the class, the teacher introduced me as Mrs. Burch to the very sweet students, then the teacher said, "Lets give Mrs. Burch a warm welcome!" so then they all clapped for me. Then she said to the students, "Mrs. Burch might walk around and ask you questions about what you're doing."
I thought this was really great, that she was expecting me to walk around and interact with the students.
Discovery Community School is a really great "choice" school. There are three classrooms. The "Youngers" - 1/2nd grade, "Middles" - 3/4th grade and "Olders" - 5/6th grade. The one thing about this school I thought was interesting, was for a child to attend this school, the parents collectively need to volunteer 65 hours in their student's classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you had a really great experience observing at that school! It is very interesting that they require parents to volunteer, I suspect that Discovery tends to attract certain types of students and families because of this requirement.
ReplyDelete