I decided to check out the blog called, "Free Technology for Teachers." I looked at the blog entry titled,
"World Clock - World Statistics in Real-Time"
This entry is really interesting. The blogger gave a link to this website that has "continuous updates of demographic statistics from around the world." It's a great educational tool for students. However, I would recommend the website to older students, maybe fourth grade and higher. It has statistics on how many abortions happen every day, and they truly happen every second; same with deaths from different diseases and illnesses. The website also has information about the amount of oil produced, and the earth's temperature.
As a teacher you can use this website to teach students about geography, history, and social justice issues. Students could do a report on a certain issue related to one of the statistics from the website. It gives students a piece of real life issues. I think the information on the website is important for students to see and understand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You found more information on the blog then I did. the website you went to sounds very interesting. It sounds like something i could use in my social studies classroom.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a really interesting website. I like the idea of using real world issues as a basis for an assignment. I think it makes it more interesting for the students and also more relevant. The whole idea of an authentic audience and authentic material is a powerful motivational tool for students. I think you are right though; the site should be for older kids since some of the topics are difficult to deal with.
ReplyDelete