In discussions about technology I have heard people say, "Technology is a blessing and a curse," it all depends on how we use it. I completely agree that cell phones, computers, video games, etc. are a distraction in schools, however they are one of the greatest inventions that kids are learning from, experiencing, and spending much of their time mastering. Yes, these inventions, specifically the computer and internet, can overly consume a child, but as the article was saying, the internet connects cultures and people; students learning about Australia can connect with Australian students wanting to learn about America.
I agree with Marc Prensky when he was talking about how students feel their schooling is completely irrelevant with their lives and their future. I believe school would be so much more fun and interesting for our students if they saw that educators wanted to know their goals and aspirations and desired to help them get there using tools, like blogging, videogames, podcasts, powerpoint, and so much more.
This article encouraged me as a future teacher to not just teach my students what the standards are, but to really teach them what they will need to know for "real life" and their careers; in doing this, use technology that my students are already learning with; technology that captures their imagination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You did a great job of not only summarizing the article, but thinking about how to move what you read to your future classroom. And I love your last phrase -- "technology that captures their imagination". It seems that using technology enables us to be creative in a way that is exciting and refreshing for both teachers and students.
ReplyDelete