Monday, September 21, 2009

"Generation IM" article response

This article was interesting. It made me realize the kinds of students I will most likely have when I become a teacher. Students are daily emmersed in technology and know greatly more about technology than many teachers. Therefore, as teachers we need to be caught up and familiarized with what technological resources are out there and how we can implement them in our classroom. The biggest road block for teachers to be familiar with new technology is their time and resources.

This article provided many ideas and ways for teachers to grasp on to the technology that is needed for students. There were many helpful websites like http://www.teachertube.com/  and  http://www.wikispaces.com/

The need for technology in the classroom is growing. We can't be teaching students how we learned. Children these days are not learning the way we learned; they are a whole new generation with a whole new concept of learning.

The article states, "In a digital age, we simply cannot measure a child’s knowledge through an isolated, fact-driven standardized test" (Instructor Magazine). I would greatly agree with this quote. If we can teach students and test students that works best with their learning style, I think students would not only improve academically, but socially, and emotionally.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Jenny, about the need for technology education for us as teachers. Isn't it interesting that the more we use something and adapt it to our lifestyle the more we need it? Of course, the choice isn't really up to us once we decided to become teachers. It is up to our culture, and we must not be culturally irrelevant. It is daunting and yet exciting to learn about the many technologies that didn't even exist when we were kids. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete